6/10/09

"Candied-Coated Popcorn, Peanuts, and a Prize..."

I was at Wal-Mart yesterday, on a mission to find small Mason jars. Wandering the store I passed by a huge Cracker Jack display. The vintage-style package caught my eye and reminded me of the boxes I used to get when I was a kid. The yellowed paper made the boxes look like they could have been sitting in storage for the past 30 years.
I don't think there's any snack more all-American than good old Cracker Jack. According to legend and crackerjack.com, the first popcorn, caramel and peanut confection was first introduced in 1893.

Was this a new campaign?

No, a spokeswoman for Frito-Lay told me. She said the nostalgic boxes have always been sold at Cracker Barrel restaurants, and she really didn't have a clue - at least one that she willing to share - as to why the company is now selling them at Wal-Mart.

Truthfully, who cares?
All I really cared about was that it tasted just as good I remember, and it had a prize.

Oh, and I found those canning jars.

No comments: